Caramel Pecan Layer Cake. Coming at you with 3 layers of deliciousness. This is a no-bake raw vegan dessert. Layer one is a base of nuts and some other goodies, layer two is a creamy cashew filling with layer three being a silky caramel. Topped with Candy pecans. Hard to resist really. There is a bit of advance preparation required with this one, it’s not one you can make and eat immediately, so plan accordingly. It’s worth the effort! A lovely celebration cake (I made it for Mother’s Day) or a fantastic dinner party dessert.
“Work with the raw material you have, namely you, and never let up.” Helen Gurley Brown
Caramel Pecan Dessert
There is advance preparation required * freeze bananas and soak cashews*
The cake also needs time to set so it's not a make and eat type of situation.
2/3 cup pecans (I roasted them for extra flavour)
1 cup shredded coconut
2/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons Tahini
2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
1 tablespoon water
pinch of salt
2 over-ripe bananas (frozen)
2 cups raw cashews (soaked for at least 3 hours)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup fresh orange or apple juice
8 Medjool dates pitted and chopped
1/2 cup Almond butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut oil
3 tablespoons water
Candy Pecans to garnish
1 cup pecans
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vegan butter
What do I do now?
- Make the base first – put the dry ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until it looks like a crumbly mixture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until well combined. It will be a sticky paste.
- Line the base of a quiche or tart dish and spread the mixture into the base. Press it down evenly using your fingers. Put in the fridge.
- For the Middle Layer – put everything into a food processor and mix until very smooth and creamy
- Pour this mix over the base and put into the freezer.
- For the Top layer – put the dates, almond butter, vanilla, honey and salt in the food processor / blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add the coconut oil and water and blend for about 10 seconds – if the mixture splits don’t panic just stir it with a spoon to blend again.
- Spread the filling over the middle layer and freeze for a couple of hours to set.
- To make the candy pecans just put everything together in a small pan and melt and dissolve – when they set they will have a crunchy sweet coating.
- When you are ready to eat this just remove from the freezer and arrange the pecans on top – then back to the fridge until you are ready to eat.
- Before you eat it let it sit on the bench for 1/2 hour to “warm up” a little.
Anything else I should know?
This can be prepared in advance – I made it the night before my dinner party and it was so delicious.
Just cover the dish in glad wrap or similar and place in the fridge.